Our Civilian Gun Class is intended for responsible citizens who need an introductory level course in the basic instruction of handguns. This is a great course for the first time gun owner who strives to handle their firearm confidently and safely!
The overall goal of this course is to give the participant a better understanding of handguns, which includes a lecture on the fundamentals of shooting, Safety and a live fire session on the range. This course is to familiarize you with handguns and allow you the opportunity to shoot in a controlled and safe setting. This basic program is the first step in developing your overall shooting skill with firearms. The emphasis in this course is safe weapons handling and basic marksmanship.
Costs: $25.00 per person, exact cash or check only. No credit cards/debit can be accepted. Make checks payable to : Chatham County Sheriff’s Office
Schedule: The 3rd Saturday of every month. Hours are 8:30 am until 11:30 am. No one will be accepted after 8:30 am.
You must register in advance and receive a confirmation.
Directions: Carl Griffin Drive- after the sharp 90 degree right turn you will make a left on a gravel road, disregard the signs that state “do not enter” - travel to the 1st left make a left and then the range parking will be on the right approximately ¼ mile. Proceed to the range entrance follow the signs for the civilian gun classroom.
View Larger Map
- No distasteful or extremely tight fitting clothing of any kind are allowed.
- No ripped clothing, clothing with holes or clothing with tears is allowed.
- No low cut shirts of any kind are allowed, CLEAVAGE MUST BE COMPLETELY COVERED.
- Midriffs/stomachs must be completely covered.
- No tank tops are allowed, shoulders must be covered
- Shirts displaying alcohol, drugs, gang signs, vulgarity, or offensive writing/pictures are not allowed.
- Students that appear to be under the influence or smell of drugs or alcohol will not be allowed to participate.
- Clothing that appears to be see through or transparent is not allowed.
- No sagging pants or exposure of under garments will be allowed.
- Pants must be at waist level
- NO OPEN TOE SHOES…eg: flip flops or sandals, tennis shoes and boots are appropriate.
If you are under a physician’s care for heart problems, pregnancy, vertigo, etc. please consult with your doctor before participating.
Guns brought to course by you
- Must be emptied before you enter the Sheriff’s Office property ie: no ammunition loaded in the weapon and no loaded magazines.
- If the handgun is a revolver, it must have an empty cylinder, if it’s a semi-automatic the magazine must be removed and the slide must be locked to the rear.
- The pistol must be in a case or in its own storage container (no pocketbooks or worn holsters)
- The pistol must stay in the case or storage container until they notify the instructor that they have brought their own weapon.
- No ammunition in the classroom, it must be left in the car. You will be allowed to return to your car and retrieve ammunition before live fire exercises begin.
- Factory ammunition only will be allowed (50 rounds max.) to be shot, no reloads.
- Spectators are not allowed.
- Obey at all times instructions given by the range instructors.
- Eye and ear protection must be worn on the firing line, if you do not have availability of these we will provide them for you at no costs.
- No Horseplay on the range will be tolerated.
- No one under the age of 21 may attend the class or be on the firing line.
- Treat all handguns as if they are loaded at all time (respect)
If you do not own a handgun, the Sheriff’s Office will provide you with a pistol and ammunition for the class ( Ruger 22/45)
Our firearms instructors are certified through Georgia P.O.S.T., NRA’s Law Enforcement Division.
Complete the following form to register.
A form is required for each participant.